CONTACT INFO

E-Mail Mike at: awesomestupidity@yahoo.com





Tuesday, November 8, 2011

SAUER KRAUT: WERE THERE REALLY THOUSANDS OF STARVING CHILDREN IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES WHO WANTED IT OFF MY PLATE?

If you’re my age or older, you probably heard this line hundreds of times from your Mom: “There are thousands of starving children in faraway lands who would LOVE to have what you’re sticking your nose up at, so eat it!”

The return comment to her (before I could stop myself) was: “I didn’t realize there was such a worldwide demand for smelly, sloppy, overcooked cabbage”. 

I didn’t even see Dad’s hand coming.  Felt, it though.  He bloodied my bottom lip.  The upside was I didn’t have to eat it that day or ever again.  Fair trade, if you ask me. 

In the course of growing older, my tastes in food - in large part - changed.  However today, as then, I hate Sauer Kraut and will not allow it in my house.  Some bad memories stay with you no matter what.

At Thanksgiving, I might buy a couple of cans of Kraut, though, to leave at food drop-offs for needy families who live locally.  Not just Kraut; there’s all kinds of canned veggies we donate and stuff, but I can’t help but wonder if there actually is a child out there who really likes and, more importantly, ASKS for Kraut to be put on his/her plate. 

Me?  I have always loved spinach.  Yes, that smelly, sloppy, overcooked seaweed.  Call me weird.  You won’t be the first.   Or probably the last.

1 comment: